Saturday, February 12, 2011

Digital Stories in the Classroom

I think that there are many ways that a teacher can incorporate the use of digital stories in a classroom. I actually have some experience with creating a digital story since I has to create one for my Methods teaching class with Kelly Chandler-Olcott. Instead of posting my rough cut of a story, I decided to post this one, which I found on YouTube. I chose this because it is a student telling her family's history through a digital story format. She has music, smooth transitions, and also a real sense of voice throughout the entire video. I spent a good 3 or 4 hours on my digital story - it's a complicated process trying to fit the pictures with the script, reading the script, adding music, and then timing everything so the recording flows over just the right image at the right time. It can be tiresome, but by the time I was done with my video, I was extremely proud of myself - and that feeling only intensified when I showed it to my classmates. Having a personal experience with crafting and sharing a digital story, I can support Richardson (2010) when he quotes Marco Torres by saying that "these videos 'should have wings' and be created for real audiences outside the classroom" (p. 123). The digital story I created required me to reflect on my thinking and learning through my experiences student teaching, and because I knew that it would be viewed by many people, I put a lot of effort into it. I think that this will hold true in a K-12 classroom as well - students don't want to put in a ton of effort if they know that their work is not going to be recognized in any way. Digital stories changes that, because it can be posted and viewed by a huge audience. Incorporating a digital story as a part of the year-long portfolio assignment that many schools enforce is just one way to get students involved. When I was student teaching last semester, I wanted my students to create digital stories at the end of our Outsiders unit, detailing how they were perceived by the world vs. who they really were inside, since it follows one of the many themes in the novel. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to work on this with my students, as I had to leave before we were able to finish the novel. This is just one way to incorporate digital stories into the teaching of literary devices like theme - but it could be used to discuss setting, mood, irony - practically anything!
Like this video does, another way to use digitial stories in the classroom is to introduce and recognize the multiple cultures that may be represented in the classrooms. This girl talks about the history of her family while linking it to Iraq's culture and the country's history. Students could easily do this as well, whether it is used as a community building process within the first couple weeks of school, or as a side project that can be worked on in conjunction with other units. Figg & McCartney (2010) assert that developing 21st-century skills is a function of individuals expressing their own voice using written and oral language, as well as many other electronic formats and media" (pg. 43). Digital stories allow students to have a voice - a voice that someone will be listening to long after the project is finished. Teachers who incorporate opportunities like this for students to work with technology for classroom projects is a way for students to practice their 21st centruy skills in a controlled and purposeful way. It seems that technology and learning can be seamlessly linked.

7 comments:

  1. Kallie,
    I would be interested in seeing your digital story, what exactly was it about? Do you have any tips for making one? Would you utilize it in your own classroom?
    You picked a good story to upload because you are absolutely right, the girl does have a sense a voice, smooth transitions, and good music too.
    I like your idea of incorporating digital stories as part of a year-long portfolio. How many digital stories would you think should go in the portfolio?
    It’s a shame you could not do the digital story with your students around the topic of The Outsiders because I bet that would have been interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its me again,
    I’m not sure if we were supposed to comment about your over all blogs on here, but just in case, I’ll post that here too. I notice in your blogs that you offer a lot of commentary and also use personal examples, which is nice to read. You also always have quotes to back up your statements and opinions. I like the way your page is set up. You have a lot of items on it, but it is neatly organized and very clear to read. Your titles always make it clear what you will be discussing in each blog. As you create more blogs, I notice more elements being added, such as more relevant photos. You've also gone beyond expectations by creating extra blog posts with resources and helpful videos related to education. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love your post and the video!!! I also really like the idea of using digital stories in the classroom (I probably like it the most out of all the Web 2.0 technologies we have learned aboutt thus far!!). This form of story seems much easier for elementary students to use and make on their own than creating a movie (Like the one I did this summer for Say Yes). I also like the idea of having parents, relatives, or people from the community come in to the classroom to help students, which was done successfully in Figg and McCartney's article. Anyways, very informative and interesting post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys!! Shanna, I will be more than willing to share my digital story. I'll post it up on here at some point. My best advice to give you on creating a digital story is to create a rough outline of what you want to say first, and then pick a set of pictures that you want to incorporate that will essentially "tell" the story. The hardest for me was choosing pictures and music. And as with all things, it just takes a lot of practice and playing with in order to get the hang of it. As a teacher, I would definitely need to be up on my skills of how to work it before I tried to teach my students. (I also asked my boyfriend to help me, mostly because he's really good with technology). So, if all else fails, consult the media/tech person at your school (or in your life). Good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I started writing for this post all I could think about was KCO! And the crying and frustrations and final elation when I finished my story! I really agree that these stories must have wings. That quote jumped out to me as well. The digital storytelling process is so personal yet so public. Students have the chance to be completely creative as they develop their story- to eventually share with a larger audience. Even beyond instilling a sense of ownership and therefore motivation, students are activating critical thinking skills through an engaging activity. I love digital stories and can't wait to incorporate them in my future classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kallie,

    I thought this was a great post and I too enjoyed the video that you posted. At the end of your post you say that "it seems that technology and learning can be seamlessly linked," which I completely agree with. Nonetheless, Digital stories are something that really need to be scaffolded within the classroom, especially if you are dealing with students. I had the opportunity to observe an 8th grade class that was working on digital stories, and the teacher knew very little about the actual technologies involved, so many of her students were just as lost as she was. It's too bad you couldn't have finished the digital stories during your outsiders unit, that sounds like an excellent assignment that would really get your students to not only work with a text and technology, but to also look introspectively and analytically within themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great points in your posts and your peers' comments!

    ReplyDelete